Monday, April 7, 2014

Zaina Diallo

Young Lady Chooses Designing Over Nursing


Seven years ago, Zaina Diallo was faced with the pressure of proving to her mother that designing, not nursing, was the route that wholeheartedly she believed was best to follow. Today, she is traveling from city-to-city, sewing garment-to-garment while hollering with pride "Africa made me, USA raised me."

From 2007 to 2009, Diallo attended nursing school. Her mind was submerged with scientific terms, but her heart was pumping of a desire to make art. 

She always imagined herself shopping for fabric, cutting it and creating a beautiful gown. Her imagination, though, was not left wandering through clouds without a destination, for she had figured out a way to get to her destination. 

She had plans of proving to her mother --who had high hopes of seeing her daughter become a nurse-- art was her knack. 

She won her mother's support and applied to top five art schools in the United States, and in 2010 got admitted into one of them, Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). There, she learned vital skill-sets that gave her a boost when she decided to launch her clothing line, ZDW Boutique (Zaina Designer Wear).

"I feel like I am blessed." expressed Diallo, owner of Atlanta-based boutique ZDW. "I use my little talent to inspire other people."

ZDW designs are made using African textile, with pattern-like apparel tailored to complement a woman, man or child's unique style.

"I love Zaina's work. She makes her customers her priority," said Anita Safo (NitaPop), a blogger based in Atlanta and loyal ZDW customer. "I am a friend, not just a customer."

Last year, ZDW had its "big year," booking 6 fashion shows. And this year, Diallo is coming back with full force, adding a different look to her third collection --one inspired by a recent trip she took to Guinea, Conakry and The Gambia.

After a few years of building her brand in Atlanta and having solid customer retention from nurtured relationships, the designer looms having ZDW Boutique expand to New York, because "New York is home and [she] has to start there."


    


A Glimpse of Diallo's World

"I am proud of my work. I am not just going to keep everything inside."-Diallo


Models flaunting ZDW designs at a fashion show in Atlanta
"Everything I do I put Africa in it because that's who I am."-Diallo


Model Wearing ZDW Designs
"I provide good customer service. I take time out of my life to perfect each garment."-Diallo


  ZDW Designs
"I am passionate about making people look good. I want to bring out the beauty in someone."-Diallo


ZDW Slippers


ZDW Bow Ties


ZDW Children's Wear 
"I love kids. I call them my easiest customers, because they're willing to try anything new."-Diallo


Diallo's First Fashion Show in 2013
 (L-R) Diallo wearing ZDW designs, model
"There is enough space for everybody in this world, for every talent. We shouldn't be hating on each other."-Diallo



Ways to reach Diallo:

Twitter: @Therealzdw
Instagram:  @zdwboutique / @therealzdw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ZDWboutique 
Email: ZDWboutique@gmail.com
Website: www.zdwboutique.com



No comments:

Post a Comment